Skip to main content

Mama Drama

Oh man! Is it Mother's Day AGAIN? Time flies.

Anyone who has ever lived, owes a debt to the one who bore them. I have an incredible amount of gratitude for the beautiful, loving, capable, courageous, confident, hospitable, genuine and amazing (trust me this list could go on!) Mother, with which God has rewarded me. I have been blessed, and that's a HUGE understatement.

I could tell you about the early mornings she would drag me out of bed for school, after calling me a gazillion times, oh, and this was when I was well into my teens, folks. I was not a happy camper. To this day, my husband is nervous about waking me up. I can be such a crab. She endured that for longer than my husband has, and that's been nineteen years. Now I'm dating myself. Let's move on... I could tell you about having never experienced hunger (true hunger where there was just no food in the house). I could tell you about the nights she rocked me to sleep. Her patterned tapping on my back, while rocking and sometimes singing is a memory that I have and hope to never forget.

So blessed.

So, why is Mother's Day one of "those" holidays that I struggle through?

To be blunt, because I have children that I didn't bear. There's another Mother on our family tree. A Mother who knew her limits. A Mother who truly loved my children enough to let them go. I mean, we all let our children go at some point, right? When they go away to college? When they get married? I've reasoned with myself. This is a "normal thing", to let your children go. It's just part of life. Then reality sinks in, and I am reminded that, no, this is not a "normal thing". These children were little. They were not raised with confidence, security and they were not given the nurture they needed to go through the natural developmental processes. They were babies. Letting go. Of babies.

My heart aches each year around this time because I cannot imagine the grief she may experience. Maybe it's only one weekend out of the year. Maybe it's every holiday, every birthday. Maybe it's every day. I don't know.

Either way, I am so grateful to that Mother. My children are beautiful, capable, worthwhile, responsible, loving, giving, creative, truly inspiring to me and to others. I am so blessed. So thankful.

While I think of my Mother today and every day, possibly every hour I am awake, today, I also think of mothers who have birthed children they no longer have.

I am thankful my Mother chose to give me life. That she chose to raise me the way she did. That she fought for me, or would have, if she had to. That she gave selflessly (and still does) to be an incredible example to all who know her.

I am so thankful for "My Village" of Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents, Teachers and Church Friends, who, while growing up, watched out for us. My Mom and Dad created a safe environment for us with people they trusted.

As a person who is called Mommy, I know, the task at hand is greater than I would have ever imagined. The rewards are too though.

Whether you have natural, step, foster or adopted children, keep those children as close as you can for as long as you can. They'll never stop needing you. Love them unconditionally. Be their safe place. It's what every child deserves.

Thanks Mom, for all the ways you loved, protected and believed in me. I pray your unmatched legacy lives on through me and through my children. I love you dearly.

I also honor the Mothers who have given their children a new opportunity, by letting them go. They are brave. They are resilient. I pray they feel loved.

Happy Mother's Day, whatever those words means to you.

With love,
Christie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Do y'all just want 'em?"

These words float through my thoughts so often. I've remembered and rehashed the moment over and over, almost obsessively today. As we sat in a dull stuffy court room on hard wooden church pews, these words were murmured in my direction. Unsure of what I had heard, I asked our daughter's biological mother, seated directly in front of us, what she had said. Patting my husband on the knee hastily to get his attention, so he would be able to hear, as she repeated, "Do y'all just want 'em?" Tears welled up in my hazel- brown eyes as I felt the tapping on my husband's knee quickly turn to a tight, trembling grip. Listening to her. Looking back and forth at each other. Could this really be happening? Am I hearing her correctly? Our Guardian Ad Litem told us just yesterday, "You do not need to go to court tomorrow. It is highly likely the judge will give this case three more months." We received the call from our Guardian Ad Litem as we were on o

Savior or Sane?

After years of trying to conceive with no success, we became Foster Parents with hopes of adopting. That's a really long story for another time. Over the past several months I have been more reflective than I can remember being in my entire lifetime, and I'm forty, so that's saying something. At the root of my musings, I find the unstoppable thoughts of "I must fix it!". Fixing me. Fixing my thoughts. Fixing my expectations. Fixing my messy house. Fixing my routines and disciplines. Fixing my children's behaviors. You name it. It's been my burgeoning passion to fix it. I thought being a Mom would be easier. I mean, how can I ask God for the blessing of motherhood to wallow in thoughts of not regret, but resent. You know, the overwhelming guilt you feel when you get something you wanted but it's not what you thought it was supposed to be. I know this could be said of far more than parenting. That job you wanted. The husband or wife you

Anger, Fear and Sadness

I am thankful for the writing skills my daughter uses to express her thoughts and feelings. She shares way more on paper than she does in person, even in therapy. She would rather write. In school, she was recently asked to write a bioglyph. She's been reading biographies.  From studying the life of Lucille Ball, a comedian who stole the hearts of many as a woman who experienced many "firsts" on the big screen down the line to Malala Yousafzai, a girl who stood up for her rights to be educated. My daughter does not fail to mention every time she talks about Malala, that she was shot by a member of the Taliban as she fought for equality. Sometimes I fear she knows too much. I wish I could paint everyone to be nice for my children. I can I guess, but the truth will come out eventually. Not everyone is nice. Not everyone cares about the best interests of others. Which leads me to... my daughter's bioglyph. She actually typed this herself.  Reading th