Skip to main content

Poised and Ready to Strike

What a catchy title, right?

I was reminded tonight of a really funny story from years ago. It's a true one.

My husband and I were fast asleep, and I suddenly awakened, hearing a hissing sound and feeling as if I was frozen physically. 

I did what any loving person would do for the safety of the person next to them at this time of the early morning hours. I whispered, "Don't move, whatever you do, DO NOT move." 

My husband who is the world's heaviest sleeper, didn't budge, until I finally and so very slowly moved my hand over to touch him, while still whispering, "Don't move. Please! Don't move."

He, of course, jolted awake and said, "Huh? What's going on Christie?

I said, "Daniel, there is a snake on the floor near my side of the bed. Please don't move. Can you hear it? It is poised and ready to strike." I could not be told otherwise. I believed it and nothing could sway me in that moment. It was a definite. This, is what was happening.

Dan immediately reached for the light. I grabbed him. Feeling as if anything moving would be the target of the snake's venomous fangs. 

Once he finally got to the light and turned it on, I was laughing at my silliness.

We laugh about those crazy memories now. They were created in our younger lives, when sleep wasn't such a commodity, before parenting. Now when I dream, I fall back asleep in the middle of mumbling a "warning" to Dan about imaginary danger lurking about. 

Poised and ready to strike. That's how I am feeling right now.

Faith and I had our first PCIT today. That is an acronym for Parent Child Interactive Therapy. YouTube or Google it. It's pretty interesting.

I was worried about how it would turn out. 

Faithy and I playing together. I was listening to Faith, while listening to the therapist in my headphones. I was being watched closely by the therapist and being given pointers or redirections for our play time. Words like, "Praise that action." or "Tell Faith you're done playing and she is to pick up every toy by herself."came through the headphones. I was so caught off guard by some of what I was told to do. I always help pick up the toys, and I rarely direct our play time. I allow my children to do that. I want their imaginations at work. 

This time, though, we're accomplishing something greater than play. I am becoming more equipped in giving directions that are so important to the teaching of life lessons to a little girl who struggles with a complex diagnosis. We will do PCIT in conjunction with Trauma Therapy once a week.

We're unearthing "scary things". (Faith described her memories from the past, today as "scary things" to the therapist). 

The definition of "poised" is: having a composed and self-assured manner.

The definition of "strike" is: to hit forcibly and deliberately with one's hand or a weapon or other implement.

Knowledge is power, remember?

Faith and I, together. We're striking the "scary things". We're shining the light on them, exposing them for the chains that they are, and we're freeing ourselves from them, by God's grace.

Poised? Yes, absolutely. I am confident in imminent healing for Faith and for our family.

Ready to Strike? Knowledge is Power. I have what I need. I stand on the promises I find in God's rich Word for me and for my family. I am humbled by the connections I have been blessed to make through this process. I am educating myself. I am ready. She is ready. Together, we will find our freedom.

You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. — Genesis 50:20 NIV







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Do y'all just want 'em?"

These words float through my thoughts so often. I've remembered and rehashed the moment over and over, almost obsessively today. As we sat in a dull stuffy court room on hard wooden church pews, these words were murmured in my direction. Unsure of what I had heard, I asked our daughter's biological mother, seated directly in front of us, what she had said. Patting my husband on the knee hastily to get his attention, so he would be able to hear, as she repeated, "Do y'all just want 'em?" Tears welled up in my hazel- brown eyes as I felt the tapping on my husband's knee quickly turn to a tight, trembling grip. Listening to her. Looking back and forth at each other. Could this really be happening? Am I hearing her correctly? Our Guardian Ad Litem told us just yesterday, "You do not need to go to court tomorrow. It is highly likely the judge will give this case three more months." We received the call from our Guardian Ad Litem as we were on o

Savior or Sane?

After years of trying to conceive with no success, we became Foster Parents with hopes of adopting. That's a really long story for another time. Over the past several months I have been more reflective than I can remember being in my entire lifetime, and I'm forty, so that's saying something. At the root of my musings, I find the unstoppable thoughts of "I must fix it!". Fixing me. Fixing my thoughts. Fixing my expectations. Fixing my messy house. Fixing my routines and disciplines. Fixing my children's behaviors. You name it. It's been my burgeoning passion to fix it. I thought being a Mom would be easier. I mean, how can I ask God for the blessing of motherhood to wallow in thoughts of not regret, but resent. You know, the overwhelming guilt you feel when you get something you wanted but it's not what you thought it was supposed to be. I know this could be said of far more than parenting. That job you wanted. The husband or wife you

Anger, Fear and Sadness

I am thankful for the writing skills my daughter uses to express her thoughts and feelings. She shares way more on paper than she does in person, even in therapy. She would rather write. In school, she was recently asked to write a bioglyph. She's been reading biographies.  From studying the life of Lucille Ball, a comedian who stole the hearts of many as a woman who experienced many "firsts" on the big screen down the line to Malala Yousafzai, a girl who stood up for her rights to be educated. My daughter does not fail to mention every time she talks about Malala, that she was shot by a member of the Taliban as she fought for equality. Sometimes I fear she knows too much. I wish I could paint everyone to be nice for my children. I can I guess, but the truth will come out eventually. Not everyone is nice. Not everyone cares about the best interests of others. Which leads me to... my daughter's bioglyph. She actually typed this herself.  Reading th