Skip to main content

Overwhelming Opportunity

If you are a parent, just a parent, you feel overwhelmed at times, I'm sure.

If you are a parent of a child with mental disorders, trauma-created behaviors, inability to self-regulate, or other special needs...overwhelmed? Unbelievably overwhelmed at times. Sometimes those moments are fleeting, but sometimes they last.

For me, at times, they can last for days following the behavior. It's as if I have somehow contracted PTSD. Certain behaviors cause me to relive the past, just as my daughter has recently mentioned reliving hers.

When my daughter experiences rage fits that last up to three hours, has sweat dripping from her face from hitting the walls, doors, throwing things, stomping, throwing herself on the floor, hitting herself in the head...I am thrown right back into the first year we were together.

I recall Dan asking me one evening early into our parenting journey, "Christie, what happened to your legs? You have bruises all over them!" With tears in my eyes, I could barely talk, but was able to whisper our daughter's name. Our first year together was hard for all of us.

Tantruming behaviors, bring back my own, call it fear, anxiety, frustration, anger, even righteous indignation for what caused her to develop these behaviors in her young life prior to knowing Dan and I.

What a difficult transition for my four year old little one. All she had known was neglect and abuse. What's this now? Someone who wants to love me? No way. I'm not going down that road again. If I receive love, I will be hurt. I will not be hurt again. I refuse to be abused. I will be the abuser instead.

While that may sound too deeply thought out for a four year old - it's absolutely where she was emotionally and teeters on that thought spectrum quite frequently even now.

This note is here to remind you that it is okay to feel what you feel. When dealing with the behaviors and unending needs that never seem to be met, while parenting your little ones, it's okay to feel whatever it is that you feel.

All your feelings are yours, and being more accepting and honest of your feelings will lead you through them more quickly. When we find acceptance in ourselves, forgiveness in ourselves, we find the ability to move forward, embracing our emotions and even our shortcomings, learning from them and growing stronger.

Still poised and ready to strike Christie? I am. I really am. Today, I felt to talk about some of the very real issues I am facing on a daily basis with forgiving myself. Freeing myself from guilt associated with the feelings I can have about my feelings. Sounds a little crazy right? Pray for me. =)

We are emotional beings. I give myself permission to live in the present with the feelings I feel. I give my daughter permission to live in the present with the feelings she feels. Together, we will continue to grow in God's grace and His unending love that is ultimately the absolute best example in what parenting should look like.

The other evening she told me that she was so frustrated. When I asked her to tell me more, she said, "I am frustrated that I am frustrated with you. I love you and I do not want to be frustrated with someone I love." I reflected that statement to her, assuring her that frustration with people we love is a part of life, and that it's okay to feel frustrated, and then to work to remedy that frustration with forgiveness and acceptance.

The opportunities we have been given to love children who have been abused, neglected and abandoned, is an overwhelming one, BUT, love conquers all. Keep loving. Yourself. Your child. God. (not in that order!) You will begin to see the unbelievable.

Overwhelmed still? It's okay. You're okay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Do y'all just want 'em?"

These words float through my thoughts so often. I've remembered and rehashed the moment over and over, almost obsessively today. As we sat in a dull stuffy court room on hard wooden church pews, these words were murmured in my direction. Unsure of what I had heard, I asked our daughter's biological mother, seated directly in front of us, what she had said. Patting my husband on the knee hastily to get his attention, so he would be able to hear, as she repeated, "Do y'all just want 'em?" Tears welled up in my hazel- brown eyes as I felt the tapping on my husband's knee quickly turn to a tight, trembling grip. Listening to her. Looking back and forth at each other. Could this really be happening? Am I hearing her correctly? Our Guardian Ad Litem told us just yesterday, "You do not need to go to court tomorrow. It is highly likely the judge will give this case three more months." We received the call from our Guardian Ad Litem as we were on o

Savior or Sane?

After years of trying to conceive with no success, we became Foster Parents with hopes of adopting. That's a really long story for another time. Over the past several months I have been more reflective than I can remember being in my entire lifetime, and I'm forty, so that's saying something. At the root of my musings, I find the unstoppable thoughts of "I must fix it!". Fixing me. Fixing my thoughts. Fixing my expectations. Fixing my messy house. Fixing my routines and disciplines. Fixing my children's behaviors. You name it. It's been my burgeoning passion to fix it. I thought being a Mom would be easier. I mean, how can I ask God for the blessing of motherhood to wallow in thoughts of not regret, but resent. You know, the overwhelming guilt you feel when you get something you wanted but it's not what you thought it was supposed to be. I know this could be said of far more than parenting. That job you wanted. The husband or wife you

Freedom from Flashbacks

Yesterday my daughter tantrumed for over three hours.  It was loud. It was long. Too long.  After talking through what caused this, hours later, she told me that when I was touching her chin to talk quietly, giving her direction for a transition we were making, she didn't see me. She saw her birth mother trying to choke her. She wept as she sat in my lap, while telling me her birth parents tried to choke her every day.  She told me that everything goes black and she has flashbacks at random times when I would never imagine this to be possible.  I was not even close to her neck, I gently touched her chin so she could be at my eye level and hear my soft words.  Transitions are so difficult for her and I was handling this one as all the therapists and counselors have instructed me over the past nearly four years.  My heart broke. We cried together as we held each other tightly.  She went to blow her nose and asked for a minute to write a note to me before coming back to sit on my la